Disney’s latest animated film, Big Hero 6, has proven to be quite the success. The film and its characters are a hit with kids (and adults) of all ages. You’ve probably seen 2014’s top grossing animated film, but do you know everything there is to know about Big Hero 6? Let’s take a look at 11 facts you might not know:
- Big Hero 6 is actually based on the Marvel comic books of the same name. Over 10 years, there were 13 separate issues released.
- According to the Scott Wantanabe, the film’s art director, the movie is set in a future where Japanese immigrants helped rebuild San Francisco after the 1906 earthquake. They used architecture techniques which would prove beneficial during any future earthquakes, and due to much of the Japanese influence in these designs, the city was renamed San Fransokyo.
- Similar to techniques used in 101 Dalmations, nothing in San Fransokyo is completely straight. The animators used this technique to give the world more of a lived-in feel.
- Baymax’s movements were based on the movements of baby penguins. How cute!
- The movement of the microbots was also based on an animal – fire ants.
- San Francisco’s Presidio provides the inspiration for the San Fransokyo Institute of Technology. The Presidio is a park, former military base, and also home to Lucasfilm headquarters.
- Mochi almost didn’t make it into Big Hero 6. Kendelle Hoyer felt the family needed a pet, so she drew a cat into all of the storyboards. Eventually the cat turned into Mochi and a “furry baby” was born.
- More than 200 signs can be seen in San Fransokyo. Like any Disney film, I’d say it’s a safe bet that there are numerous hidden Easter eggs on these signs. Did you spot any?
- Baymax was originally planned to have a face which could show five different facial expressions. Instead, animators went with an expression-less face. I think that worked out quite well, don’t you?
- Baymax’s inflatable design is based on a real robotics design at the Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University.
- The film’s villain, Yokai, has a name which means “phantom” in Japanese.
Do you know any additional Big Hero 6 trivia? Share it with us in the comments below!