Earlier this week, we discussed Mickey Mouse’s debut in the 1934 Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. Throughout the years, Mickey and even a few other various Disney characters have made appearances in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. Many times, Mickey’s appearance marked a special event within the Walt Disney Company.
- In 1972, both Mickey and Donald appeared in the parade as a celebration of Walt Disney World Resort’s first year.
- Mickey returned to the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade once again in 1973 – this time marking 50 years of animation, as the Walt Disney Company was founded in 1923.
- Donald Duck celebrated his 50th birthday in 1984, and of course, what better way to celebrate a birthday than with an appearance in the most watched Thanksgiving Day parade!
- The 1992 Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade saw the addition of a Santa Goofy balloon, as well as 6,000 tap dancers wearing Mickey ears. This marked the setting of a new Guinness World Record for the largest assembly of tap dancers.
- A new Mickey balloon appeared to mark the new millennium in 2000. This balloon featured Mickey dressed as bandleader – after all, he is the leader of the band!
- Just a few years ago in 2009 and 2010, the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade saw a giant Captain Mickey balloon to mark the announcement of Disney Cruise Line’s two newest ships – the Disney Dream and the Disney Fantasy.
Which Disney balloon has been your favorite in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade? Let us know in the comments!
Latest posts by Kimberly (see all)
- Disney Bucket List: Club 33 - December 18, 2017
- Best Ways to Celebrate Christmas at Walt Disney World - November 1, 2017
- Cars 3 Digital HD Giveaway - November 1, 2017