Earlier this week, we discussed Mickey Mouse’s debut in the 1934 Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. Throughout the years, Mickey and even a few other various Disney characters have made appearances in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. Many times, Mickey’s appearance marked a special event within the Walt Disney Company.
- In 1972, both Mickey and Donald appeared in the parade as a celebration of Walt Disney World Resort’s first year.
- Mickey returned to the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade once again in 1973 – this time marking 50 years of animation, as the Walt Disney Company was founded in 1923.
- Donald Duck celebrated his 50th birthday in 1984, and of course, what better way to celebrate a birthday than with an appearance in the most watched Thanksgiving Day parade!
- The 1992 Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade saw the addition of a Santa Goofy balloon, as well as 6,000 tap dancers wearing Mickey ears. This marked the setting of a new Guinness World Record for the largest assembly of tap dancers.
- A new Mickey balloon appeared to mark the new millennium in 2000. This balloon featured Mickey dressed as bandleader – after all, he is the leader of the band!
- Just a few years ago in 2009 and 2010, the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade saw a giant Captain Mickey balloon to mark the announcement of Disney Cruise Line’s two newest ships – the Disney Dream and the Disney Fantasy.
Which Disney balloon has been your favorite in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade? Let us know in the comments!