Jim Henson’s Muppet*Vision 3D opened at Disney–MGM Studios on May 16, 1991. At this attraction, Kermit takes guests on a tour of the Muppet Labs to showcase their latest technology, Muppet*Vision. The attraction is filled with jokes, “cheap 3D tricks,” and many of your favorite Muppet characters including Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, and Gonzo.
Similar to many other Disney attractions, Muppet*Vision 3D is also full of clever jokes, plays on words, and references to other Disney projects. Next time you visit Muppet*Vision 3D, be sure to look for the following hidden details:
- Outside of the attraction, you will see two planters. One is filled with an ice cream sundae. The sundae from the other planter has already been eaten; Only the spoon and a bit of melted ice cream remain.
- Take a look at the clock on the front of the attraction. Notice anyone “hanging around?” Gonzo is hanging on to the minute hand of the clock.
- At the theater’s box office, someone left a note saying “Back in 5 minutes – key is under mat.” Lift the mat for a fun surprise!
- On the left wall, you will find the Muppet*Vision 3D Directory and The Rest of The Directory. Take a look at the listings. Many of them are quite humorous.
- Before the pre-show film begins, there is a test pattern displayed on each screen. As Scooter crosses from screen to screen, take a closer look. You will find a hidden Kermit in the test pattern.
- In the pre-show area, if you look up, you will find a net full of jello. This is in reference to everyone’s favorite Mouseketeer, Annette Funicello.
- Towards the front of the pre-show area are some flat cutouts of fruit, labeled “2-D Fruities.” This is a play on the words “tutti fruitti.”
- Take a look at the shipping crates found around the pre-show area. Many of them are labeled with funny jokes or references. There is one box labeled as being for the production Stair Trek. Another crate is addressed to Walter from Gary and Mary in reference to the 2011 film, The Muppets.
- There are also many crates and boxes containing interesting items for the stars of the attraction. For instance, Kermit’s crate from Amphibiance The Total Swamp Store contains lilypads, pond scum, pre-shrunk water lilies and a one-size-fits-all log. Miss Piggy’s many boxes contain satin evening gowns, more satin evening gowns, and the rest of the satin evening gowns. Gonzo’s crate is filled with mold, fungus, helmets, and various combinations of those three items.
- The Muppet*Vision 3D projector, located in the back of the theater, is a Yell & Howl Projector in reference to the Bell & Howell Projectors found in many movie theaters.
- During the show, when Bean Bunny flies a bumblebee in front of Miss Piggy, one of the penguins in the orchestra can be heard playing Flight of the Bumblebee.
- During Sam Eagle’s “glorious 3 hour finale,” A Salute To All Nations But Mostly America, the theme song from It’s A Small World can be heard.
There are many other jokes and references to be found at Muppet*Vision 3D. Have you found any of them? Let us know which jokes you have found in the comments below!